All You Need Is Love… a Cedar Plank Sign

DIY Wood Plank Sign - Get the free printable stencil!
Yesterday I shared with you my new kitchen makeover.Today I’m going to share how I created the star of the show, my “All You Need is Love” Wood Plank Sign:

DIY Wood Plank Sign

The cedar planks have been in my dad’s garage for the last twenty years!  They were from the master closet makeover he did and were already cut to the perfect length – 30″ long!  If you can believe it, they still give off a little of their fabulous scent!  New boards would be such an air freshener!

DIY Wood Plank Sign

I used wood glue to secure the planks together, with two planks running vertical  along the back (shown on it’s side in the pic above).  I was going to add nails, but I didn’t have any of the right length, and I really glued this puppy, so am fairly confident it won’t fall apart.Picture hangers were attached to the back to the vertical planks and into the top horizontal plank.

All You Need Is Love Wood Sign
I designed the stencil on the computer and printed it out on a large format printer (download the stencil at the bottom of this post!).  Using my Xacto knife I cut out the stencil.  I used Martha Stewart stencil adhesive spray on the back and placed it where I wanted it and used my Martha Stewart foam pouncers to apply the paint.
All You Need Is Love Cedar Plank Sign
For the hearts I had my daughter draw up a couple of poufy hearts – she is so much better at them then me!  I cut them out, traced them onto the sign and used the foam pouncers again.  They just give it that added textured look that was exactly what I was looking for.
Pallet Sign

Download the All You Need is Love Stencil.

The stencil is large – sized 28.50″ x 21.96″ – you can print it as an Architect print at Staples for inexpensive!

Printed Canvas Tote with Free Printable Stencil from @733blogLove the “All you need is love” design, but don’t have use for a sign?

Download the 8.5×11 All You Need is Love Stencil and use it to create an adorable tote like One Good Thing did!

Have a cutting machine? Download the All You Need is Love SVG file!

Comments

1. says

You;ve totally inspired me! Now I just have to go get the wood, paint, picture and stencil( i had no idea there was such a thing) adhesive.

2. says

Woah, I love this! I had no idea there was such a thing as stencil adhesive either! Wow I would love to do something like this. Pinning…

3. says

I love this! This is a favorite quote in my family too. I’m getting ready to do a stenciling project so I will definitely try some of the Martha Stewart adhesive. Thanks for the tip!

-Erin @ DIY On the Cheap

4. says

This is gorgeous! The painting is lovely and the finish on the wood is so nice.

I’m a bit smitten with this saying – such a great reminder!

Stopping over from So You Think Your Crafty. =)

5. Cate says

When you download the SVG file it just downloads as a pdf….. Any way to fix that?? I love the fonts used here and really want to use this with my cutting machine

6. Suzanne Duke says

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but when you use the adhesive spray to keep the stencil on the board, how difficult is it to remove the stencil from the wood/board once you’ve colored everything in….I would think the stencil paper would still want to stick to the wood. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

• says

There are different types of adhesive spray. There is actually kind made for stencils, which works well, and there is also a re-positionable one that allows for peeling away. I believe I just used regular old spray, just a very fine coat to keep the paper from wiggling, but not enough to really cement it in place. Does that make sense?